Jones County Transfer Station Operator
- Posted: September 5, 2023
The Jones County Solid Waste Management Commission is responsible for solid waste management, including disposal, in Jones County. The Commission owns a closed landfill and owns/operates the Jones County Transfer Station.
Provide excellent customer service including oversee and assist with customer unloading activities; directing customers to appropriate unloading areas for recoverable items; and segregating unacceptable materials.
Operate mechanical and hand equipment as needed to load waste into the transfer trailers and prepare the trailers for transfer.
Accept household hazardous waste from customers. Sort materials and bulk paints according to fixed facility’s specification. Attend training on an annual basis.
Routine cleaning and maintenance of all equipment, including but not limited to tractors and loaders as well as identification of equipment issues requiring more specialized services. Identify need for and complete basic maintenance and repairs as able.
Perform maintenance on the closed landfill including erosion control, mowing, and leachate pumps.
Perform station, scale house, and site maintenance including sweeping/washing, organizing, mowing, snow removal, litter collection and other activities needed to maintain an aesthetic operation.
Become familiar with and help achieve compliance with state, federal, and local solid waste regulations.
As needed, operate office machines including the scale, computer, and printer to weigh incoming and outgoing vehicles/loads and calculate customer fees. Collect fees or record charges as appropriate. Maintain record of all fees and provide receipts.
Act as a Commission representative with customers, haulers, service providers and others. Must become familiar with the Commission’s services and answer customer/citizen questions.
Attending Commission board meetings if requested.
Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Two or more years practical experience operating and maintaining wheeled front-end loader, semi-tractors and trailers and other equipment used on site
- Completed Transfer Station Operator training approved by the State of Iowa, or ability to obtain.
- Ability to become certified in OSHA 24-hour health and safety training (Hazwoper training).
- Ability to work accurately and effectively under pressure and to prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to interact well with the public, haulers, contractors, staff and Board members
- Ability to read and complete basic mathematical calculations, including counting change
- Classroom training and multiple years practical experience with equipment maintenance and repair
- Three or more years experience operating tractor-trailer combinations and/or heavy equipment
- Previous computer operation experience
Return Application To
Karl Taylor, Director/Operations Manager, Box 235, Anamosa IA 52205 or email to: email@example.comJones County Employment Application