Natural Resource Manager
- Posted: November 16, 2023
- Closes: December 14, 2023
Position Summary: The Natural Resource Manager position is a full-time, permanent position with the Jones County Conservation Department. The person in this position, under the general supervision of the Executive Director, will perform a wide variety of professional, technical, and field duties including but not limited to natural resource management, park and facility maintenance and program administration.
Essential Job Duties:
- Works closely with Executive Director to develop and implement management plans for Jones County Conservation areas.
- Including prairie and woodland management, timber sales, crop leases, food plot plantings, tree plantings, wetland development and prairie restorations.
- Works collaboratively with Department coworkers.
- Carries out the enhancement of parks, natural resource areas, and facilities.
- Planting, seeding, cutting, chain sawing, trimming, pesticide application, burning, removal of hazardous trees, timber stand improvement, food plots, mowing, control of noxious weeds and invasive species, etc.
- Daily coordination with Resource Manager coworker on project scheduling of seasonal staff
- Maintain equipment conditions and needs including fences, roads, tractors, loaders, chainsaws, snowplows, etc.
- Oversees and participates in specialized program areas including, but not limited to forestry, arboriculture, horticulture, prairie management, prescribed fire, etc.
- Provides information and conducts public relations activities through presentations and articles to educate and inform the public on natural resource issues.
- Coordinates activities of seasonal staff, contractors, and volunteers conducting resource inventory and management activities.
- Assists in routine maintenance of park areas, preserves and recreation areas, facilities, and equipment.
- Conducts studies on areas for the purpose of developing and utilizing natural resource data.
- Seeks grant program opportunities and writes grant applications.
- Works occasional weekends, holidays, irregular hours, and night shifts as needed.
- Perform duties in rough terrain and in extreme hot or cold temperatures.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Attend work regularly at designated place and time.
- Bachelors degree with major coursework in conservation, natural resources, botany, forestry, wildlife, or a related field and/or an equivalent combination of three years of work-related experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the essential job duties of this position.
- Subject to criminal background review.
- Valid driver’s license required with the ability to obtain a Class A Commercial Driver’s License.
- Ability to obtain an Iowa pesticide applicators license required.
- Ability to obtain S130/ S190 wildfire training and certification required.
- Ability to obtain CPR & First Aid certification.
Return Application To
email@example.com or mail to Jones County Conservation, Attn: Brad Mormann, 12515 Central Park Rd, Center Junction, IA 52212Jones County Employment Application