Weapon Permit Renewal (as of July, 1,2017)
- Bring your current permit in within 30 days before expiring or within 30 days after expiring and the fee is $25.00.
- Outside the 30 days bring in your card and the fee is $50.00.
- No documentation is required for individuals who obtained a weapon permit after 1/1/2011.
To apply for a permit to carry a weapon (professional or nonprofessional) applicants must show a valid ID, on which the address must be current. A professional permit also requires an employer's authorization on the application, along with a letter on company letterhead stating they are employed with that company and requests the individual to carry a weapon while on duty.
You must be in the office by 4:00 p.m. as it will take anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes to complete the application process. The Sheriff has up to 30 days to review the application.
Iowa Code Requirements
Applicants must show proof that they have met the requirements set forth in Iowa Code Chapter 724 before receiving a permit. To summarize this code:
- Applicants must show proper identification.
- Applicants must apply for a permit to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides.
- Applicant must have completed required training.
- Applicant will pay required fee at time of application; $50 for new permits to carry, and $25 for permits to acquire. Both permits are issued for 5 years.
Weapon Permit Applications
This is also referred to as a "Permit to Purchase" a pistol or revolver.
This is the new application for permits that will be issued under the new law after January 1, 2011. A carry permit can also be used as a permit to purchase; you do not need both if you have a carry permit.
- This contains copies of a few code sections from the Weapons Chapter (724) of the State of Iowa Code. This covers sections that are relevant to the new changes in the law taking effect January 1, 2011 and other sections that we get asked questions about most often.
- This is a list of firearms instructors that are providing information that in our opinion is vital to your safety and the safety of the general public
Map · Jones County Sheriff
500 W. Main St. · Anamosa, IA 52205